If you’ve got a loved one in prison and want to help them settle into life after release, we’ve got some top tips for you. Why not share them in your next letter or phone call?
These top tips are all about the first probation meeting after release.
- Make sure you are clear about where your probation is, who your probation officer is and what time you need to be there for.
- Take the time to read through your licence conditions before the probation appointment and write down any questions you have about them.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to get there, allowing for traffic/public transport delays.
- Make sure you get all of your questions answered during the meeting and don't be scared to ask about anything that you are unsure of. It is really important that you understand your licence.
- Your probation meeting may overrun, so make sure you allow time for this if you’re booking other appointments.
For more top tips, listen to We Are Straightline, the show about getting out of prison. Your loved ones can listen to the same show on National Prison Radio on Fridays 12 midday, repeated at 6pm and Sundays at 2pm.