If you’ve got a loved one in prison and want to help them settle into life after release, we’ve got some top tips for you. Why not share them in your next letter or phone call?
These top tips are all about preparing for resettlement whilst still in prison.
- Engage with your resettlement team and support agencies 3 months before release.
- Be honest with them about what your support needs are.
- They can only support you if you tell them what you need help with.
- Resettlement can help with things like bank accounts and ID. They can also refer you to other agencies in prison who can help with housing and job centre appointments.
- If you’re not sure who to speak to about resettlement, check with your offender supervisor or key worker.
For more top tips, listen to We Are Straightline, the show about getting out of prison. Your loved ones can listen to the same show on National Prison Radio on Fridays 12 midday, repeated at 6pm and Sundays at 2pm.