If you’ve got a loved one in prison and want to help them settle into life after release, we’ve got some top tips for you. Why not share them in your next letter or phone call?
These top tips are about the documents its useful to have on release.
- Think about what documents you will need. Have you got ID, a bank account, a phone or address?
- Most legitimate employers won’t be able to pay you if you don’t have a bank account.
- If you plan to sign up for Universal Credit, you won’t be able to do this without a bank account, ID, phone number or address.
- If you don’t have any ID or a bank account, resettlement or your offender supervisor should be able to tell you how to apply for both..
- If you don't have a phone or address, is there a family member or friend who will let you use their contact details whilst you get sorted?
- You need to be applying for these things at least 3 months before release
For more top tips, listen to We Are Straightline, the show about getting out of prison. Your loved ones can listen to the same show on National Prison Radio on Fridays 12 midday, repeated at 6pm and Sundays at 2pm.